Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pattern Cats, 1st Grade

I have seen this project done on many websites, and I have even done this one myself before. Though, this is the first time I have done it with first grade. I love this project, because it is a really simple way to teach patterns. To begin this project, I have each child choose a piece of construction paper. Then with oil pastels, I have them draw one large pattern onto the paper. After this, we put the construction paper aside, and I give each child a piece of white paper and a black marker. I then show students step by step how to draw a cat. Once this is done, I have the students draw several lines to break the cat up into several sections. In each section, students use the black marker to draw patterns. I encourage the students to color parts of the design in to make it darker (Many do not think to do this if not encouraged). I just love what my first graders did with this project. Last time I did this lesson, I did it with third and fourth grade. While I liked the lesson when the older kids did it, I just LOVE it for the younger ones.

2 comments:

  1. What great results for 1st graders! They must have really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think coloring in parts of the patterns makes a big difference :)

    ReplyDelete