Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Falling Through Space, 5th Grade

This is one of my favorite projects, and my fifth graders look forward to it every year. This lesson is a wonderful way to teach the concept of foreshortening. Quite a long time ago, I found this lesson on Oodles of Art, and I have used it many times since. My students start by tracing their hands and feet. After this, they draw their head, neck, arms, and legs. I then have my students outline everything in black marker and color with oil pastels. Next, I have them cut the entire thing out, and glue it to large black paper. Stars and planets are drawn with oil pastels.We really have to rush in order to get this project done, in our 75 minute art block. I usually warn my students that they will have to work harder in this one class than they ever have before. Most of them will work extra hard because they LOVE this project. For those of you who are fortunate enough see your students every week, you will want to dedicate several classes for this project.

I absolutely love the way these look when they are hung together!

2 comments:

  1. Cutting them out makes them look so dramatic. I can't wait to do these with my students only so I can put them in the hallway. It's like children are trapped in the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for this assignment to start my year with my grade 6 students...thank you,

    ReplyDelete