Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Sunday, May 1, 2011

Covered Wagons, 2nd Grade

Recently, the second grade teachers asked me to come up with an art project related to the Oregon Trail. This is what I came up with. The wagons are made of milk cartons, which are cut in half. We painted the carton with brown tempera paint. The cover to the wagon was just a piece of paper, which we slid into the carton. I let my students decorate the wagon covers with crayon. I know, the real pioneers did not have colorful wagons, but I decided that the wagons would be more fun this way. The wheels were just made out of poster board and glued to the wagon.
I usually try to stay away from "crafty" art projects, but I couldn't help myself on this one. They are really cute.

4 comments:

  1. So cute! I want to borrow this idea!!!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! What size milk cartons are these? (There's nothing in the photo for scale.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the small cartons from the lunch room. I had my students collect these during lunch. I suppose this would work with any size milk carton though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. Best Portable Collapsible Folding Wagons

    ReplyDelete