Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Paper Sculptures, Kindergarten

This was a fun Kindergarten art lesson that I did this week with my students. I tied this lesson into the idea of Dr. Seuss and Whoville. I showed the students pictures of Whoville and we talked about the crazy roads, stairs, and houses in Dr. Seuss' artwork. I then told the students that we were going to make our own 3D Whoville. This got the students very excited.
I then had my kindergarten students create these really fun paper sculptures. We began with long strips of paper which we glued onto a piece of paper. I showed the students how to make the paper pop up off the page. When glueing, I had the students count to 10 while holding the paper to make sure it actually stayed in place. Then I had students cut out shapes like circles and triangles to add to their sculptures. Lastly, students crumpled up tissue paper and glued it to their artwork.
My students absolutely LOVED this project! I love how the simplest projects make the Kindergartners excited.

6 comments:

  1. I think we've all done paper sculpture like this (we've called them roller coasters), but I absolutely LOVE the Dr. Seuss Whoville tie-in. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect idea to tie it into Whoville! I will use this with my Kindergarten too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea!!! I think I might use it for my first kindergarten project of the year. One question--- what kind of glue did you give to your students?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Laura. I just use Elmers glue. I do specifically show the students how to use this type of glue. I teach them how to open and close the bottle. Then I show them that if they touch the orange tip to the paper before squeezing, less will come out. I always tell them to "Use a dot, not a lot." For this project, they only put one dot of glue on each end of the strips of paper. Then they need to hold it for 10 seconds in order for it to stay put.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Seuss tie-in. Your blog is a great service to other art teachers. I've been teaching for years, but last year was my first year teaching art. So I love reading art blogs. Thanks also so so many links to other art teachers' blogs. May I ask for your help? I had also been reading Miss Tarbacea's blog, but this summer when I went to it, it didn't let me in because I was not invited. Would you have her email so I can request to be invited? Thank-you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to help, but I am having the same problem with Miss Tarbacea's blog. Suddenly I am no longer able to view her blog either. I should probably take her off my blog roll since most people are unable to view it.

    ReplyDelete