Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pirates and Vikings, 3rd Grade

My third grade students created these really awesome ships today. They had the choice of making either a Viking ship or a Pirate one. Before beginning, we compared and contrasted the difference between both types of ships. Generally, Viking ships had only one sail, while Pirate ships had many. Also, Viking ships often looked like a dragon, while Pirate ones did not. For this project, I had them use watercolors to paint ocean colors onto a piece of paper. While this paper was drying, we drew and cut out the boat. The sails were then cut out of scrap pieces of construction paper. By the time we finished the boat, our watercolor paper had mostly dried. We tore this paper into many pieces, and collaged them together to create the ocean. Everything was glued to a piece of construction paper. After everything had been glued, details were added using oil pastels.

I just think these turned out so cool! I just love the details some of them added at the end.

4 comments:

  1. These are so cool! I like the torn watercolor paper ocean. And they did some great detailed ships. I may have to try this out in my summer art classes.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi blog readers, I am an art teacher just starting a new blog, called There's a Dragon in my Art Room. It's a little rough yet (I'm a newbie to blogging), but I'd love you to look at it at http://plbrown.blogspot.com/
    and please leave comments or suggestions to help me get it going! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, I really like the Viking and Pirate ships! It looks like a fun project for the kids.
    I'm sure they look forward to art class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are cool... Stumbled across your blog while doing an search for viking ships.

    Your job must be so rewarding... Art and Kids, 2 of my favorite things to play with :)

    ReplyDelete