Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Thursday, May 6, 2010

Music, 1st Grade

My first grade students have recently been learning about sound in science class. To tie into this, I had my students create music collages. To begin, we talked about how music has rhythm and movement. We brainstormed many ways to visually show rhythm in art (patterns, zig zags, spirals...).
I have done this project before with third grade, but it was fun to see what the first graders could do with it. Basically, students drew and cut out instruments on construction paper. Then students cut out simple shapes and symbols to show movement and rhythm. At the very end of class, I gave them oil pastels to add details.

I was incredibly impressed with these! They understood the idea of visual movement even better than I thought they would.

1 comment: