Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mexican Hats, 5th Grade

 I found this really cool Sombrero lesson on Flikr, and just had to give it a try.  For this lesson, I had each student draw a large sombrero.  Then students used oil pastels to draw patterns and designs on the hats. To finish the hat, students painted it with watercolors. Students then used tan or brown paper to draw a simple face.  These faces were then glued to the hat. 
These are very FUN!

3 comments:

  1. Holly - I just wrote an article on the book Ten Black Dots and found your wonderful art activity (Dec. 2010). I just want you to know that I will be featuring that on my blog post which will appear on Thursday, April 26th. You can contact me at calqlate@yahoo.com if that is a problem; otherwise, look for your blog!

    http://gofigurewithscipi.blogspot.com/

    Isn't it great how math and art go together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I always enjoy seeing my lessons mentioned on other blogs.

      Delete
  2. this is a really cool idea. I love the unique quality that hats bring to portraiture.

    ReplyDelete