It has been an adventure trying to do a clay unit with my students. I have a very low budget for art supplies, so I can not afford clay. This year, I applied for an education grant in order to buy clay for my students. Back in December the clay was delivered to the school, and I was super excited to begin clay with my students. However, this isn't the end of the story. After the clay was delivered to the school, I began looking at the kiln. I teach in a new school that has a brand new kiln, so I just assumed the kiln would work. Unfortunately, I found that when the school was built, the kiln was put into the room, but was never actually hooked up. After looking at it, I found that the kiln could not plug into the wall, and I needed an electrician to fix it. It took three months, but finally the kiln is functioning, and I am able to begin my ceramics unit.Today was the first day of clay, and we made coil pots. I covered the table with canvas before the kids came in. This really does help keep the clay from sticking to the tables.
I really like how these pots turned out. Can't wait till they are bone dry, so I can finally use my kiln.