Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Monday, November 23, 2009

Winter, 3rd Grade


Today my third graders created winter scenes. Winter is my absolute favorite season, so I love this project. This project is rather complicated, so it was hard to get done in 75 minutes, but my students worked hard and we got it done. I began this lesson by showing students the artwork of Maud Lewis,a Canadian Folk artist. We noticed how simple her trees, houses, and animals were drawn. Our artwork is inspired after her.
-
Here are the basic directions:
1. Draw three trees on black paper (I show students how to do this) and then cut them out.
2. Cut out a rectangle for a house and a triangle for the roof.
3. Put these things aside until later
4. Fold a piece of paper in half (Hot dog style). The fold becomes the horizon.
5. Paint the sky blue. Then add a little white on top while the sky is still wet to be the clouds.
6. Rinse off paint brush and paint the ground white
7. Glue the trees and house down the paper
8. Add snow by splattering white paint onto the page. (They love this part!)

I absolutely Love, Love, Love these!!

3 comments:

  1. Fun craft! I think I'm going to do this with my kids tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, I love it. What color paper did you use? I was thinking white, but you said you have them paint white snow, so I wasn't sure...
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have them use white paper. I have them paint the white snow because I think it makes it a little more realistic than just leaving the paper white. .

    ReplyDelete