When students finished their maps, I had students crumple their maps to make it look old and crinkly. Students absolutely loved the crumpling part. I told them that this was the only time I would allow them to crumple their art.
Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Sunday, May 16, 2010
I began by having the students tear the edges of the paper to make it look old. Then students drew a few simple hills and other symbols on their page. Students then made their own animal stencils. (I did allow students to share their stencils after they were made). Students used their stencils in two ways. First, they used chalk to outline a few of their animals. Second, students used sponge painting as a different way to use the stencil. Lastly, I used a spray bottle full of paint to put their hand prints on the page.
I did show students examples of cave paintings with hand prints on them. I don't know why the cave painters put hand prints on the wall, but my class theorized that maybe it was kind of like signing your art when its finished. I liked this explanation, but have no idea if that is the real reason or not.
For the most part, I really like the results. Next time, however, I will have them think more about placement of the stencils. Many of them became very random and cluttered. It would have been good for me to talk a little more about composition. Next time, I will perhaps talk about using their symbols and animals as a way to tell a story.
Saturday, May 15, 2010
These are Adorable!
Friday, May 14, 2010
We started with large green paper. Then I showed the students how to draw the alligator. I reminded them that the alligator should be Gigantic and should fill the entire sheet of paper. Students then decorated their alligators with fun designs and patterns. (They could draw poka dots, zig zags, stripes, hearts, wavy lines, etc.) Everything was drawn with oil pastels. At the very end, I had the students use blue and white paint to add some water at the bottom of the page.
I think this a great way to help students learn to draw big.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
This project was very simple. Basically, I had the students draw the animals they had seen at the zoo. Then I had the students outline all of their pencil lines in black marker. The coloring was done with oil pastels. Finally, students used yarn to lace the fence onto the drawing. The lacing was the hardest part. They needed a lot of instruction for this part.
A few days ago, I had planned to just do a zoo drawing with my students. The other day, I found the idea for the yarn part of this project on Mini Matisse, which was a perfect way to make the project a little more special. I just LOVE the results of this project.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
I did this project in two different ways. In the first class, I had them color them. In the second, I had them leave it black and white. I am partial to the black and white version. However, coloring was nice too.
Some of my students decided to hide things in the tangle of hair. One student actually put a rat crawling inside the hair. I thought that was incredibly creative. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures of that one. Next time I do this lesson, I may encourage students to hide things in the hair.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
On the first day, we took a balloon and taped on simple cardboard fins. Then we used strips of newspapers and dipped it into the paper mache. Because of my lack of budget, I just made the paper mache out of flour, water, and salt. Then we put a second layer on with colored tissue paper. This gives the fish some color right from the start.
We then left it to dry for about 3 days. On the second art day, we painted our fish. Mostly we focused on details. (They painted eyes, mouth, stripes, poka dots, gills, etc.).
I thought these turned out very cute. I just wish I could have had a couple more days for this project. It would have been nice if the students could have had more time to add unique details from the beginning. However, the second graders have told me that this was their favorite project EVER! I am always glad to hear that my students enjoyed a project.
Friday, May 7, 2010
These are just adorable!
Thursday, May 6, 2010
I was incredibly impressed with these! They understood the idea of visual movement even better than I thought they would.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
I just think these turned out so cool! I just love the details some of them added at the end.