Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pirate Maps, 2nd Grade

My second graders have been learning to read maps recently, so I thought this would be the perfect time to create pirate maps. I showed my students many examples of pirate maps before beginning our project. We noticed that old maps are often very artistic. Often drawings of boats, flags, treasure, and other things can be found within the map. We began by tearing the edges of brown construction paper. Then students created a title for their map (The title could have their own name in it, or a fake pirate name). In the corner of the map, students drew a compass rose. Students then drew and named their islands. Finally, it was time for the fun stuff, the details. Students added treasure, ships, sea monsters, anchors, etc. Everything was then outlined with black marker. I had my students use oil pastels to color their map, but crayons would have worked too.

When students finished their maps, I had students crumple their maps to make it look old and crinkly. Students absolutely loved the crumpling part. I told them that this was the only time I would allow them to crumple their art.

3 comments:

  1. Love it!! I used to make faux Mexican Bark Paintings with my students this way but Pirate Maps are way more fun!! : ) Great Lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These maps look great! Kids always love sea monsters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why it took me so long to see this post! Don't even know if you'll still read the comment,but anyhow... I have a group of boys who LOVE making 'treasure maps' and I never thought before about turning it into a project. I'm not sure yet exactly what materials I'll use, but pirate maps are e DEFINITE for next year. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete