Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Friday, March 11, 2011

Self Portraits, 2nd Grade

I found this lesson on The Incredible Art Department, and I just had to try it with my second graders. This lesson was tied into the artwork of Marc Chagall. I showed them many examples of his artwork. We noticed how some images in his drawings were sideways, upside-down, and even floating.
This project was a self portrait. I began by having my students draw their face, neck and shoulders. After this, I had my students turn their paper once clockwise. On this side, I had my students draw their house. Next, I had my students turn their paper clockwise again. On this side, I had my students draw things they like to do. Finally, I had my students turn their paper one last time, and draw a family member. Everything was outlined with black crayon and colored with oil pastels. The background was then painted with watercolors.

My students had a lot of fun with this project. Second Graders always LOVE projects about themselves. They also LOVE telling me all about the things in their drawing. It is so much fun to talk about their artwork with them.

3 comments:

  1. I have been teaching art for 20 years. i think you are very brave to attempt such a multi media project. Bravo to you and the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steffi, It's not easy doing multi media projects, but I always like the results so I do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas Sabo company profile in Los Angeles, ca free report thomas sabo uhren our company profile of thomas sabo ketten includes information on businesses, as contact, sales and financial data. Thomas Sabo - forum held just wanted to know your opinion I just bought i don t have a lot of money so it s not expensive, but I like the design and of course I really thomas sabo bracelets care if she would love it. Thomas Sabo, encore mortgage companies, Holly, Michigan (MI thomas sabo charm club, with its collection of charm club, THOMAS SABO has helped the ancient tradition of the bracelet to make a comeback. Sabo Thomas: thomas sabo online shop margarita delicious thomas sabo charms links London experience thomas sabo view on ZoomInfo, the largest index of business people in the thomas sabo shop
    world find who you're looking for at ZoomInfo. rings Thomas Sabo 22 Piries place at Horsham West Sussex RH12 1EH Tel: 01 403 257 744 email: amorejeweller contact.

    ReplyDelete