Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 1 of Clay.

It has been an adventure trying to do a clay unit with my students. I have a very low budget for art supplies, so I can not afford clay. This year, I applied for an education grant in order to buy clay for my students. Back in December the clay was delivered to the school, and I was super excited to begin clay with my students. However, this isn't the end of the story. After the clay was delivered to the school, I began looking at the kiln. I teach in a new school that has a brand new kiln, so I just assumed the kiln would work. Unfortunately, I found that when the school was built, the kiln was put into the room, but was never actually hooked up. After looking at it, I found that the kiln could not plug into the wall, and I needed an electrician to fix it. It took three months, but finally the kiln is functioning, and I am able to begin my ceramics unit.Today was the first day of clay, and we made coil pots. I covered the table with canvas before the kids came in. This really does help keep the clay from sticking to the tables.
I really like how these pots turned out. Can't wait till they are bone dry, so I can finally use my kiln.

1 comment:

  1. congrats on getting it all worked out! i had an issue with the electrical in my kiln closet this year and couldn't wait to get it all back in working order. my 3rd graders are also doing coil pots right now - here's to a great turnout!

    ReplyDelete